8/17/05

My day

Wow. Today I lifted a weight off. I can breathe. I can un-furrow my eyebrows. I will be able to sleep tonight.

I left the school after teaching for seven, count 'em, seven days. It felt like a month.

The kids didn't need to know. I just whispered out the back door after exchanging contact info with Pam.

After another chat with Vonnie the principal, I left with my dignity intact. Everyone completely supported me in my decision to not stay.

I learned today that last year's music teacher quit almost every other week and they'd always talk her into staying. She finally did quit with one week of school left.

One thing is for sure: I will never forget this experience for as long as I live.

If you ever want to thank someone, thank a teacher in an inner city school.

No comments:

Post a Comment